Page 1 of 2
1 2 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread

Royal Road to Card Magic Dvd Set - Formal Review ( Updated! )

I practiced almost all materials on this DVD and performed it all. When I saw my old review, I tought about updating it. Since it doesnt do the set -book justice. Updated info are shown in red.
    ---------------------------
    Hi guys,
    I got Royal Road for 3 monthes now. I was doing card magic ONLY since 3 monthes back then before I bought the set, and I was not sure about my order. " Royal Road ? seems for total beginners", I was DEAD wrong.

Lets go on for the review:
    Main Part of Review, The INSIDE:
    you can see all the contents of the Dvd here:
    http://www.ellusionist.com/order/Roy...VD.php?cat=103

As you can see, all the moves seem to be quite basic. I'll give my personal comments on some of them:

The Overhand Shuffle: I just discovered that I didnt know how to overhand shuffle ! I litterally practiced the shuffle ( YES, the fair shiffle ) for 2 days. how to run one card at time, and how to make several cards fall instead of one. Controlling cards using the shuffle took me another 2 days to practice. after you finished the overhand shuffle section of the dvd 1, you will have TOTAL control over tha cards !

The Glide: A sleight that enable you to switch cards invisibly.

Key Card: NOT a sleight, but away to locate a choosen card. Effects using Key Card in Royal Road are killer. I didnt like them at first, but when I performed them to lay people, I was amazed by the reactions! ( See effects section below ). What I loved, however, that Paul teaches you a method, where you let the spectator put his card ANYWHERE in a fan, and you get the key card below it invisibly.

Hindu Shuffle: The set DOESNT teach you the fair version, it jumps directly to its card control techniques. I loved it! Easy and you can control multiple cards, in order to do a reverse to reveal them!

Reverse: The set will teach you couple of methods, and ALL of them are good. And one of them ... aah .. is Superb!

Color Changes: The set will teach you 3 color changes I never saw before. one of them is a total killer change, where you show them the bottom card in a face up deck, then you remove it to place it on top, and it visually changes as soon as you touch it! I LOVE this!

The Pass: If you want to learn the Pass, DONT learn it from here. Why? because you will learn its basic handling, NOT to make invisible. R. Paul Wilson suggests that you shoud use it while misdirecting someone for now. But as you build up your level and a cardician, THEN do it invisible.
    a KILLER effect is tought here, and its NOT in the book. See Effects section.

Top Palm: I'm still fighting to learn this one properly. Paul teaches it very well, but still, I'm having some problems. Of course, you will learn how to do it INVISIBLY when they are burning your hands. Wow, my dream came true!

Double Lifts: Nah .. I didn't like the double lift tought here, I prefer doing Double Lifts from Greg Wilson's DVD Double Take.

Glimpse: Wow! 3 or 4 Glimpses are tought through out the DVD, and a couple more in the Glimpse section. I loved em all!

Forces: ALOT, and I mean ALOT, of forces are tought. From the Classic force ( tought in GREAT detail ) to the cross cut force, going through The OverHand Shffle force, Hindu Force, and and .....etc ( lots of em! ). And you also get 2 forces which are NOT tought in the forces section, but in an effect using Hindu Shuffle.

False Shuffles and Cuts: Only one false cut is tought, a good one though. Some False Shuffles are tought include false Hindu, False Overhand ( Detailed ), False Riffle, and some weird false shuffles ...

Flourishes: Again, MANY of them are covered here. And I dont mean XCM. I mean flourished that can be used in your magic, that just make you look like a card expert, not a juggler! Fans are covered, along with riffle shuffle in the air with waterfall finish. Charlier Cut, Pop up card ... etc ( check Product page for list of contents )

Top & Bottom Changes: I dont use it much. Good methods though.

Platform Card Effects: Paul explains some effects that can be used in stage. One of them is the famous 3 Cards Across, a classic!

Effects:
    one of the main features of the Dvds ( and the book itself ) that it teaches you Effects using the sleight you just learned. This is like a reward for you learning a new sleight!

The effects is done on table, I cant imagine using the effects I learned so far ( I'm in Dvd 2 right now ) in strolling (street) magic.

MOST of the effects tought are anywhere anytime effects. some, which are few, need some setup.

I will review some of the effects, along with some of my performing experiances.

Topsy-Turvy Cards: You cut the deck, and flip the stack over . take the bottom card, wave, snap your fingers and all the deckk is face up like the beginning.
    I use this as an opener. VERY simple to do. Good one.

The Three Piles: They cut to 3 piles .. take anyone of them .. memorise a card with its order .. you predict it, usually you are wrong. But you still find it.
    An effect using Key Card in a unique way. I didnt like it at first .. but when I tried it to my friends .. I knocked em off!

Thought Stealer: They Choose 5 cards .. think of one .. you return the five in the deck and shuffle .. they tell you the card ... you Spell to it. MUCH stronger! I use this one ALL the time!
    This is a killer, a total killer for laymen. End of story.

Observation Test: They choose a card. You show 4 of a kind. Place them one by one of table ( or spectator's hand, on street ). You place them again, and the forth one is gone .. and its the choosen card!!
    This effect is another KILLER. I improved the method a bit, and I FRY them. My favorate of all time.

Obliging Aces: A KILLER gambling demonstration. A spectator gives you a number between 10-20 ( e.g 13 ). You deal it. Add the two digits( 1+3=4),deal the forth card, and get an ace!
    Repeat it 3 times to get an ace. The last time, you take the top card, deal its value, and BOOM, the final ace.
    Dude, I love it. No one play cards with me after I show him/her this one.

Ambitious Card ( ACR ): An ACR, good one with a cool ACR sleight, although hard one to pull off.
    Basic ACR, Ending with card in your pocket.

Insidious Dr. Fu Lui Tu: They choose a card and return it. You show a card with forign language letters, which say the name of their card. You name it, and spread the deck, to find that their card is being reversed.
    One of my favs! NO FORCE by the way. I use a video game language ( a game called Oblivion .. if you want to know! )

Roy Walton’s Pass at Red: This one is NOT found in the book. Paul got the permission to show it and teach it from Roy. you show your stack, and mark it by putting it between two face up aces in the deck. They choose any 3 cards. Then you take your packet and show the cards all black. the card THEY choose are ALL RED!!
    FREELY selected cards! This effect is a KILLER. The BEST use of the pass is here! I never thought of this use of pass before.Wow!

3 Cards Across: They count a packet of 14 ( or any number ) cards. They choose a card, ( e.g 3 of clubs ), snap your finger! and they count thier packet again .. its (14+3) 17 cards!!!!
    Ok, this is a GREATEST card effect I came across. This is my Ending effect to a routine I'm making. The method inspired me to make my own method of Strange Travellers I got after Royal Road.

Teaching:
    R. Paul Wilson is really a great perfomer and teacher. VERY thorough teaching, and you can learn ALOT on how to present the effect from the way he perfroms them (especially the O.K ones in the first Dvd )

This Dvd set will keep me busy for several monthes.

Price ? 70$ is TOTAL steal for this. you will find many, many sleights and effects in this set as downloads here and there. also, why learning a sleight with an effect one at time from one vidoe and another, while you can learn all the sleights here ?!

Book or DVD set?
    Well .. I suggest getting the book from your local magic store first. If you love the material, and wanted to see the effects perfromed, plus getting some of Paul's tips, and getting some exclusive effects, and want visual learning, GET THE SET.

Ok guys, Hope this helped you. The Dvds are amazing enough.
    Thanks for reading.
    Regards,
    ~Feras Al-kharboush
    Last edited by Medifro; 10-02-2006 at 09:34 AM.
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

I'm glad to see another RRTCM lover. Although CC1 is very insightfull, RRTCM also gets the done job done and more. So much stuff to learn and worth every cent you pay. Very nice review, it was worth it.

-Austin
    Last edited by Precision; 06-30-2006 at 03:33 PM.
    ???Putting the possible in impossible???

Thanks. glad you liked the review !
    by the way, I dont have the book. do you think I should get it ? in my opinion, I dont think I need it, since I'm not a good learner from books.

and guys, this RRTCM Dvd set is FROM L&L. there is another one from Magic M(f)akers starring Rody Hunter. I dont think it is good as L&Ls.

:: Elite
    :: Retired

L&L is quite good, Magic Fakers is known for rip off's and low quality everything.

As for the book, I say if you have the extra money, why not? You are probably familiar with everything in the book, but it is only 10 bucks. I like both books and videos myself, it couldn't hurt!

Houdini
    <<State & National Champion Trumpeter>>
    Ellusionist Elite Member ::Retired::

If you want the book bad, go ahead and get. If your not in the right mindset to get it soon, just wait till you have some extra money saved, it couldn't hurt. Your decision.

-Austin
    Last edited by Precision; 06-30-2006 at 03:33 PM.
    ???Putting the possible in impossible???

for 10 bucks, I can buy 3 bicycle decks! ... but dont forget the shipping ..

Regards,

Everywhere and Nowhere is the best!

I know this thread is a bit old but wanted to add something anyway. I'm new to magic and bought the Rudy Hunter DVD set of Royal Road by magic makers about a month ago. Because I have not seen the Paul Wilson 5-DVD version I cannot compare them. However, I'm pleased with Magic Maker's version because I picked it up for 35 bucks on sale at a local magic shop. I think it's well presented and I've already enjoyed performing several of the tricks for my wife's family...successfully. So I'm perfectly content with it but perhaps it's because I don't know exactly what I'm missing with the Paul Wilson version.

Considering what I paid for David Kong's Mercury - which is really just a few sleights combined to make one trick (one that I'm pleased with by the way); I must consider the RRTCM a complete bargain. I just don't have the money to keep purchasing single tricks at 20-30 bucks a pop plus shipping. (I just bought Strange Traveler and that will have to be the last single trick I purchase for some time).

My favorite routine in the RRTCM is the Everywhere and Nowhere bit. I think it's killer and definitely gets the shock factor going. And I managed to pull it off even though my double lift sucks!!

Quote Originally Posted by grinchmob
    I know this thread is a bit old but wanted to add something anyway. I'm new to magic and bought the Rudy Hunter DVD set of Royal Road by magic makers about a month ago. Because I have not seen the Paul Wilson 5-DVD version I cannot compare them. However, I'm pleased with Magic Maker's version because I picked it up for 35 bucks on sale at a local magic shop. I think it's well presented and I've already enjoyed performing several of the tricks for my wife's family...successfully. So I'm perfectly content with it but perhaps it's because I don't know exactly what I'm missing with the Paul Wilson version.

Considering what I paid for David Kong's Mercury - which is really just a few sleights combined to make one trick (one that I'm pleased with by the way); I must consider the RRTCM a complete bargain. I just don't have the money to keep purchasing single tricks at 20-30 bucks a pop plus shipping. (I just bought Strange Traveler and that will have to be the last single trick I purchase for some time).

My favorite routine in the RRTCM is the Everywhere and Nowhere bit. I think it's killer and definitely gets the shock factor going. And I managed to pull it off even though my double lift sucks!!
    If anyone needs more information on RRTCM then my thread "A review you don't see everyday." is a review on it.
    Jesse
    Age matter not.
    j//L jesse//Lim

Quote Originally Posted by tehJESSEH
    If anyone needs more information on RRTCM then my thread "A review you don't see everyday." is a review on it.
    Jesse
    and this review ;) a buyer needs as many opinions as he/che can get !

grinchmob, i agree with you. I too hate buying single effects, but what can we do ? these effects happens to fit my style!

Anyway, I know about Rudy Hunter's set. I dont have it so I cant judge. but 90% of MMs (or MFs ) Dvds are rip off.

My thoughts .

Medifro,

Thanks for the advice about MM. I didn't know any better but figured a 4-DVD set marked down to 35 bucks from 70 at the local magic shop was probably an okay deal. Perhaps it was marked down because at 70 bucks it was a rip off. I'll probably stay away from MM from now on because I trust your opinion as I've read many of your posts already.

As for the single effects...I like them but it's just that I don't have enough money to purchase every single effect that I want (without really upsetting my wife anyway). If I did then I'd already have SAW, Stigmata and a host of others. Instead, I'm pacing myself (as well as saving for the ones I really want). In the mean time I think getting DVD's that teach a large number of sleights is a good way to maximize fun for the price. If I had a PC instead of a MAC then I'd probably have purchases the Mercury download rather than the DVD for approx. 20$ with shipping included.

Grinch

Great review. I too have the L&L edition and I love it. I am a bit of an over achiever so I bought Royal Road and CC. I just like learning as much detail as I can. But if you are new and you want to learn the basics sleights and tricks to go along then by all means this is for you.
    Joe White
    www.getlifecoaching.com

Quote Originally Posted by Medifro
    Hi guys,
    I got Royal Road 1 week ago. I was doing card magic ONLY since 3 monthes, and I was not sure about my order. " Royal Road ? seems for total beginners", I was DEAD wrong.

Lets go on for the review:

The Dvd Set:
    very nicly packed. really nice looking. great design to fit all the 5 Dvds.

The Dvd(s) Quality:
    pretty good ! very nice production, and the navigation is really good via well orginized menus.

Main Part of Review, The INSIDE:
    you can see all the contents of the Dvd here:
    http://www.ellusionist.com/order/Roy...VD.php?cat=103

As you can see, all the moves seem to be quite basic. I'll give my personal comments on some of them:

The Overhand Shuffle: I just discovered that I didnt know how to overhand shuffle ! I litterally practiced the shuffle ( YES, the fair shiffle ) for 2 days. how to run one card at time, and how to make several cards fall instead of one. Controlling cards using the shuffle took me another 2 days to practice. after you finished the overhand shuffle section of the dvd 1, you will have TOTAL control over tha cards !

The Glide: my favorate sleight. this sleight is tought in HTDSM also, and the effect in E's Dvd is also explained here in Dvd 2 ( Glide+Key card+ Glimps Dvd ).

Honestly, I dont know what to write, I just love all the contents of the dvds, and I dont know what to talk about. that will just make the review too long !

Effects:
    one of the main features of the Dvds ( and the book itself ) that it teaches you Effects using the sleight you just learned. This is like a reward for you learning a new sleight !

The effects is done on table, I cant imagine using the effects I learned so far ( I'm in Dvd 2 right now ) in strolling (street) magic.

The effects in the first Dvd are not that bad, and not that good. in the 2nd Dvd however, they are REALLY good ! ( Gray's Spelling trick is used by most famous magicians in the Magic Castle now ) in the other Dvds, I went thtough the effects fast, and I found some KILLER effects for laymen ! I just love'em !

Teaching:
    Brad Christian, Jay Sankey are the best teachers I know. Now, they are Jay, Brad and Paul Wilson.
    The man really a great perfomer and teacher. VERY thorough teaching, and you can learn ALOT on how to present the effect from the way he perfroms them (especially the O.K ones in the first Dvd )

This Dvd set will keep me busy for several monthes. I will get E's new Dvds, but will actully watch them after November maybe. The material in Royal Road is enough for me for a year or more.

Price ? 70$ is TOTAL steal for this. you will find many, many sleights and effects in this set as downloads here and there. also, why learning a sleight with an effect one at time from one vidoe and another, while you can learn all the sleights here ?!

CC1 or Royal Road?
    sorry E, I just found the total winner for beginners card magic. This is ALOT much better than Crash Course 1. if you want a complete basis for your card magic. Get this.

CC1 teaches really cool effects. but doesnt teaches you the sleights needed to start card magic ( only the palm and DL and false shuffle or two ). Although its a GREAT dvd. Royal Road is far better ( and far $ ). with it, you wont need to practice a sleight mentioned in a trick video or somthing, because you know it before hand.

Performing Effects, Experiance:
    I perfromed the effects in Dvd1. they have pretty much a "trick" feeling than "magic" feeling. I got good reactions with it with my family and friends. but with the second Dvd, I did the first effect in it, they went insane.

Ok guys, Hope this helped you. I dont have the book, and I dont need I have to. The Dvds are amazing enough.
    Thanks for reading.
    Regards,
    I dont know why. I never really got around to buying RRTCM. But now I will definately look into buying it. Great review! Take it easy.

~gOOfy
    Pain is temporary, Pride is forever.

- Ryan Nelson

Medifro,

Thanks for the advice about MM. I didn't know any better but figured a 4-DVD set marked down to 35 bucks from 70 at the local magic shop was probably an okay deal. Perhaps it was marked down because at 70 bucks it was a rip off. I'll probably stay away from MM from now on because I trust your opinion as I've read many of your posts already.
    I guess you were the one who is ripping them off! Its great that you got the set at this price!

But still, stay away from Magic M(f)akers Dvds. Crushed and Restored ( i.e Healed and Sealed, but they stole the effect and change some minor handling, and sell it ) is one example. However, I'm thinking of getting a dvd from them ( weird .. I know ), its about how to make gaff cards, I guess its the only one in the market.
    As (without really upsetting my wife anyway).
    Well, altough im 20, my mother still argues me ( although its my hard earned money ! ). But still, she cares about me and i understand that. So is your wife is caring about you my friend :- )

~gOOfy[/B], if you are a book learner, get the book ( the Dvds are GREAT, but the book is only 10$ ).
    Hmm, I want to "attract" you more! here's an effect:
    3 Cards Across: the hand the spectator 13 cards. she counts them. put the pack on the table, and her hand above it. A spectator chooses a card ( lets say its value = 3 ). snap your finger, the spectator checks the pile under her hand ( which was under her hand and under her complete control at all time ). its 17 cards ( 14+3 = 17 ). thats the LAST effect in the book/set. my fav.
    Last edited by Medifro; 06-30-2006 at 07:23 PM.

Just Updated my review. Added effects and sleights review.

Quote Originally Posted by Medifro View Post
    Just Updated my review. Added effects and sleights review.

Great review Medifro! although i am really confused now on whether to get the book first or jump to the DVD version already :)