The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread
    United States of America, Florida, Jacksonville, Eastside, My House, And at THE computer...

Quotes About Magic

I am looking for reasons unknown even to myself for quotes from different famous magicians throughout time. I would like quotes similar to these from Blaine and Houdini:
    Harry Houdini
    -Yet to-day, if a mystifier lacks the ingenuity to invent a new and startling stunt, he can safely fall back upon a trick that has been the favorite of pressagents the world over in all ages.
    -What the eye see and the ears hear, the mind believes.

David Blaine
    -In truth, the only restrictions on our capacity to astonish ourselves and each other are imposed by our own minds.

I put this on a thread for two reasons. A) I want my quotes, plain and simple. B) I think that the thoughts of past magicians are probably still applicable today. Maybe we could stand to learn something...

P.S. Anyone who wants a complete copy of the list together, including quotes that I hope would be posted on this thread and quotes that I am continuing to look for...
    BeLieve The UnBeLieveABle...

There is one quote by David Blaine, it's in his book Mysterious Stranger, that sums up what a magician actual is. I use it as my signature but it is not the whole quote, just broken down. It is: "A magician is an actor playing the role of the supernatural." I would use the whole quote but it's too long. Maybe someone at E could let us have some more space. Just kidding. Hope this helps.

-Austin
    Last edited by Precision; 07-05-2006 at 10:44 PM.
    ???Putting the possible in impossible???

Jersey (Only outsiders call it "New Jersey")
    "Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old with 15 years of practice."
    - Harry Blackstone Jr.

"Experiment with it, strive to improve it by incorporating your own ideas - keep trying..."
    - Dai Vernon

"No one should suspect, let alone detect any secret action."
    - S.W. Erdnase

And my personal favorite:
    "No self-respecting gay guy would have ever made some of the hair and clothing choices I am still trying to live down."
    - David Copperfield

~Cole
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

"Magic is something that has a meaning. You can affect somebody with it. You open them up for a moment. You make them question. Like a little baby doesn’t need Magic, because a little baby is living in a world of astonishment. A little baby is amazed by everything. And that’s what Magic does for people. It strips away all of your layers, and leaves you wide open." -Mr. David Blaine

Here are some general quotes

General Quotes

Magic Quotes from the E community

E Community Quotes about magic

Those two may help you out....I am not trying to get this thread closed but these are some past quotes you may like.
    if someone tells you you are too weak to live with freedom they have turned you into a child.

Elite Member
    :: Theorist

Here are a few, don't know if it is exactly what you want but here ya go...

“A man without a foundation is like a ship without a rudder and compass, buffeted here and there by every wind.” -Samuel Smiles

“Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.” -Goethe

“History should not burden memory, but liberate the mind.” -G.E. Lessing

“Not everyone can be a star, but all can strive to do their best and constantly improve.” -Henk Vermeyden

“It takes a lot of work to make something simple.” -Anonymous

“The great Russian painter K.P. Bryullov once corrected a student’s picture. Incredulous, the student looked at the altered drawing and cried out, “How is it possible? You only changed a detail, yet it is completely different!” Bryullov replied, “Art starts where this detail begins.”

“He who does not constantly improve, ceases to be good.” -A.S. Grove

“Anything done beautifully justifies its own existence.” -Milbourne Christopher

“Good is better than perfect.” -Anonymous

“All things are difficult until they become easy.” -Persian Proverb

“The great art includes much that the small art excludes…” -Oscar W. Firkins

“He who does not try, knows not what he can do.” -Publilus Syrus

“Few things are impossible to diligence and skill.” -Samuel Johnson

“Practice is the best of all instructors.” -Publius Syrus

“The more simple and natural the movements of the performer, the less likely is the spectator to detect the trick.” -Jean-Eugene Robert-Houdin

“Never attempt, in public, anything that cannot be performed with the utmost ease, in private.” -Maskelyne and Devant

“Most magicians…consider the palm an easy move to make and are inclined to believe that they are ‘getting away with it’ when they are only fortunate enough to have a polite audience.” -Dai Vernon

“Well less is more…” -Robert Browning

“Of of what one can’t make sense, one may make art.” -John Barth

“The old magician then bpwed, and said that he too had a request: he would like six courtiers to bring him the statue of a beautiful woman. The court was surprised at the old magicians request, for even if he had mastered the art of bringing forth a live woman from the stone, his deed could only equal that of his rival, without surpassing it; and by virtue of being second, he would seem only an imitator; without daring or originality.” -Steven Millhauser

“Art is, in fact, a magic incantation.” -Nikos Kazantzakis

“Technique is only a telephone wire—what’s important is the message going through it.” -Kent Nagano

“Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you’ll come up with something of your own. It’s the humanity that gets you there, not techniques.” -Michael Moschen

“All that glitters is not magic.” -Tony Shiels

“To know a thing by it’s parts is science, to feel it as a whole is art.” -Lewis Mumford

“I believe that creating art with your magic starts with sharing your performance with your spectators.” -Chris Schuh

“Don’t run when no ones chasseing you.” -Justin Miller

“The point is the doing of them rather than the accomplishments. There is no actor but the action; there is no experiencer but the experience.”

“To see a thing uncolored by one’s own personal preferences and desires is to see it in its own pristine simplicity.”

“Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness. Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make.”

“Art is an expression of life and transcends both time and space. We must employ our own souls through art to give a new form and a new meaning to nature or the world.”

“Art calls for complete mastery of techniques, developed by reflection within the soul.”

“Artistic skill, therefore, does not mean artistic perfection. It remains rather a continuing medium or reflection of some step in psychic development, the perfection of which is not to be found in shape and form, but must radiate from the human soul.”

“When one is not expressing himself, he is not free. Thus, he begins to struggle and the struggle breeds methodical routine. Soon, he is doing his methodical routine as a response rather than responding to what is.”

“Understanding oneself happens through a process of relationships and not through isolation.”

“There is nothing on earth you cannot have - once you have mentally accepted the fact that you can have it”

“Visualize this thing that you want, see it, feel it, believe in it. Make your mental blue print, and begin to build.”

“Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.”

“No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking.”

“If two men agree on everything, you may be sure that one of them is doing the thinking.”

“I was thinking too fast. It seems like a person has the tendency to get bored, because he always wants to try to do all these accomplishments.”

“Details make perfection, but perfection is no detail.” -Dai Vernon

Take care,

-Dylan
    “Technique is only a telephone wire—what’s important is the message going through it.”

“You see, mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where.” - Cortez from The Longest Journey.

Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by a.weinbrecht
    Maybe someone at E could let us have some more space.
    Here's a good one by Brad Christian: "Done."

In other words, the signature room has been increased from 50 to 100 characters. You're quote is roughly 70 characters (spaces included), so it should fit now.

Thanks alot,

I probably would never have figured that out. I wasn't trying to be rude by saying that, just joking around.

-Austin
    ???Putting the possible in impossible???

Illusion is not deception, Its deception with style.
    Last edited by deceasekain; 06-07-2006 at 11:08 AM.
    Matthew 11:28-30

United States of America, Florida, Jacksonville, Eastside, My House, And at THE computer...
    Hmmm, didn't know the post would get double the space for signatures...COOL!!!
    BeLieve The UnBeLieveABle...

"There is no such thing as a problem that presents itself to you without a gift in its arms"
    "You are never given a wish without the power to make it come true... You may have to work for it however"

Both from Richard Bach's <i> Illusions </I> (not a magic-realted book)

"An eye for an eye just makes the whole world blind"
    "The greatest way to win a battle, is to have the courage not to fight back."

Both by Mahatma Gandhi

I have tons more

Chase

"Wuh-ell yeah, and I'm sad, but at the same time I'm really happy that somethin' could make me feel that sad. It's like, it makes me feel alive, you know? It makes me feel human. And the only way I could feel this sad now is if I felt somethin' really good before. So I have to take the bad with the good, so I guess what I'm feelin' is like a, beautiful sadness." - Leopold "Butters" Stotch (South Park episode 713 - Raisins) Sorry, I couldn't just not quote it. That's one of the most memorable things I've heard from South Park, and that show has quite a bit of wisdom beneath the rough exterior that alot of people refuse to look past.

Michael

:: Elite
    :: Retired

I am surprised I didn't see this earlier. I love quotes, let me contribute a bit,

"He that cannot obey, cannot command" -Ben Franklin

"It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice" -anon

"Whoever is happy will make others happy too" -Anne Frank

"Too many people itch for more than they are willing to scratch for" -anon

"The smallest good deed is better than the greatest good intention" -anon

"A big shot is a little shot who kept on shooting" -anon

"One today is worth two tomorrow" -anon

"Work like you don't need the money. Dance like no one is watching. Love like you never have been hurt" -Mark Twain

"Doing what you like is freedom, liking what you do is happiness" -anon

"Better a witty fool than a foolish witt" -Shakespeare

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself." -anon

"When things are rough, remember: It's the rubbing that brings out the shine" -anon

"Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers." -Lord Tennyson

"All the flowers of the tomorrow are in the seeds of today"
    -Chinese Proverb

"To dream of the person you'd like to be, is to waste the person you are" -anon

"Learn by listening, understand by reflecting" -anon

"Thunder is impressive, but lighting does all the work" -anon

"Little kindness is done by great hearts" -anon

"When you win, nothing hurts" -Joe Namath

"Learn, and you will learn something: teach, and you will learn much more" -anon

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!" -anon

"Opportunity is often missed because we are broadcasting when we should be tuned in"

"Look where lookers look not, and you will seek what seekers have overlooked" -J. Diggle

"Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty" -Lee

"Make your mark while there is still ink in your pen" -Larkin

"If you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often get it" -anon

Just a few, Enjoy,

Houdini
    Professional Musician/ Music Therapy Student
    Ellusionist Elite Member ::Retired::

Elite Member *
    ["The only way to improve a trick is to find a simpler and more direct way of doing it."
    Paul LePaul

"...any effect to be successful must first be founded upon a simple method and then be performed with a direct to-the-point presentation."
    Theo Annemann

"Genuine magic demands on perfect simplicity of execution."
    Jean Hugard

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
    Albert Einstein

"If the actions used in performing sleights are visible or even suspected by the onlooker, the whole illusion of magic is destroyed."
    Jean Hugard

"Magic is the illusion which is created when a series of natural movements apparently causes an unnatural, or magical, result."
    Jean Hugard

"The illusion of magic is an idealistic fantasy; it exists only in the imagination of the spectator."
    Paul LePaul

"It is presentation which lifts the card trick from the level of the commonplace puzzle to the status of an unforgettable and inexplicable mystery."
    Jean Hugard

"In magic, today as always, the effect is what counts. The method or methods used are always purely secondary."
    Dai Vernon

"Magic is the apparent defiance of natural laws. Before magic can become magic, the audience must know that the thing the magician
    seems to be doing, is, in actuality, impossible."
    John Mulholland

"To be magic, it must, first of all things, be an illusion. If it is not an illusion, it is not magic!"
    Arthur Buckley
    Jim Molinari (www.jimmycards.com)