The Ellusionist Forums are no longer active. Join us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.
+ Reply to Thread

Short Film - AceRoutine [7 min vid, 7MB download, zip file]

Hey guys,

I just released this video to my site's members, but because of recent events, the forums were shut down, so I probably won't be getting any comments on it. So I decided to post it here as well.

Name: Ace Routine
    Video Length: About 7 minutes
    Link to video: Ace-Routine : Matt Marks

Feedback is very much appreciated, if I need work, please tell me, if it looks awesome, I would also love to know.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Matt Marks; 12-27-2005 at 04:16 PM.
    Matt.

BANNED
    wow,! that was very good. i liked the routine better than dream of aces, but if any improvements, move out of austin and come down here to college station. SAW THEM HORNS OFF!!!!

Here I go...

Okay, nothing happened untill 2:10, minus your intro, that's about a 1:50 expository phase, I was bored. Speed it up or take it out.

Top Change: It was probally the only time you moved fast.i recmend a different switch, of which there are many. If it was me, it would be the KM move.

The rest of it was done well. I can tell you've practiced Dream alot. Good moves.

A small mishap on the Holey Ambition. I'm sure you know what I mean, if not, PM me, don't want to get ito trouble in the public forums.

I have a few questions as a spectator you could answer for yourself though.

1) Why did you pile the card all out and mix them, only to get them back, and finish the trick? (If you were going for 2 effects, I think you missed it. I only saw one effect in structure, and I don't agree with the Ace Mixing bit.)

2) Why was there a blue card in the box the whole time? (This question applies only to bafore the Holey Ambition effect. As magicians, we know why it's there, cause you;re going to change it later, but a spectator is loking at it, through a messed up box, wondering 'Why?' the whole time, and could very well be distracted.

All in all I liked it Matt. One thing you should keep in mind definently when you go to improve this effect is the lenghth of your expository phase. Talk to me later an I can work with you on it if you'd like.

-Chris.
    Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

MSheridan's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Cardist >>

I have to agree with Chris on this one.

I found the beginning of the routine to drag on for no good reason. You already had the four aces out so why mix them back into the deck just to pull them out again. I thought that the handling of the sleights where ok but i found you to be a bit fidgety in general handling of the deck and packets. I noticed at one stage you used the tabe to help square the cards up while they were in your hand. Im not a big fan of this as i think it looks rough and i think rough isnt something you want in this kind of routine. And as for the Holey Ambition effect mentioned by Chris, i think it was out of place. It felt as though it disrupted the routine for me.

Overall, in my honest opinion, it was just ok...

Michael
    Limitation is a creation of the mind
    Ellusionist Moderator

I enjoyed your effects. I liked the fact that you incorpoated something else with the Dream of Aceses. Yes there were small imperfections that have already been discussed. but none of us are perfect in our presentation. Thought the music suited this very well. Keep up the good work.

Maybe some patter could make this make alot more sense Matt. Any possibility of seeming some?

-Chris.
    Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

:: Elite
    :: Retired

Quote Originally Posted by mchelchr
    Maybe some patter could make this make alot more sense Matt. Any possibility of seeming some?

-Chris.
    Amen to everything you said and that. When performing under NORMAL condidtions, do you talk?

I can help you if you really need it, you know how to contact me.

Houdini
    Or better yet Chris
    Professional Musician/ Music Therapy Student
    Ellusionist Elite Member ::Retired::