Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
+ Reply to Thread

Things you say to people when you mess up a trick

We all mess up when doing a trick sometimes and I was wondering what you guys say to the spectator when you mess up. Sometimes I make a joke out of it to disarm them.
    WHERE DID THE SPONGE GO?

I run and hide me face in shame.

Hehe. I just say that i shouldve practiced more or something like i didnt have enough magic left in my body or something like that.

KeenanG
    "An artist is someone willing to turn themselves inside out in public" - Steven Spielberg

What i've done is i've devised a routine that I could go into should I mess up finding their card. The trick only works if they have a selected card, not during a trick like oil and water where only specific cards are used.

What to say

A few things to say:
    SOMETIMES i am just straightforward and admit it..."I screwed that up, moving on to other things"
    But sometimes i like to get a little creative...
    whenever I just want to generally discombobulate things. I look folks right in the eye and just as if it made perfect sense in the context of the situation at hand.. I say," I have a cousin who works at Sears." lol that works for me all the time
    "well, supposedly it dissappeared"
    If one of my coins hits the ground... i would normally say "Hmm French Drop"
    Now, when I really screw up a trick...what I do is when the goof up occurs, I stop, look at what just happened, and say "TaaDaa! You have just seen the way NOT to do this trick!" It usually gets a good laugh, and I can then move on to the next one.
    If it drops from a hand it's not supposed to be in, I guess depending on the trick, I have said, things like "Wow that coin magicly flew so fast to my other hand I couldn't even catch it", or look around befudled and say "Geeze now I don't even know where they are coming from" etc. But trust me... nothing looks worse than a magician picking up something he just dropped so if you are going to screw up a trick... try not to make it something that you drop... LOL
    A couple of other things i will say is "the real magician will be here soon" or "it looks better from my point of view.. trust me"
    Goodluck!
    Scottyboy

Wow Monkyboy, That was awsome. I like those funny lines. They will work for me when i mess up. Hehe.

KeenanG
    "An artist is someone willing to turn themselves inside out in public" - Steven Spielberg

Always have an out and make sure to practice your repetoire of tricks to the limit of not messing up because personally I never mess up.

Faintalinum

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy
    If one of my coins hits the ground... i would normally say "Hmm French Drop"
    I would just like to say that that's not a very funny joke to a lay audience. That joke comes from David Stone (who is very obviously from France if you hear him talk) during his lecture. He only says this joke for magicians because magicians understand what he is talking about (and it's hillarious when he says it). To a laymen that joke makes no sense because they have no idea what a french drop is. So I would suggest only using that joke around magicians.

Mike Delbert's Avatar :: Moderator
    :: Elite

"Sorry, I just got this trick yesterday and only practiced it twice. I am going to go back home and develop it, rehearse it for a few weeks or more to do it the right way. Sorry for wasting your time due to my impatience and performing pre-maturing."

Works all the time ;-)

Mike
    In Magic,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by misdirection
    I would just like to say that that's not a very funny joke to a lay audience. That joke comes from David Stone (who is very obviously from France if you hear him talk) during his lecture. He only says this joke for magicians because magicians understand what he is talking about (and it's hillarious when he says it). To a laymen that joke makes no sense because they have no idea what a french drop is. So I would suggest only using that joke around magicians.

Yes true you have to be kinda french to capitalize on it but rarely will i ever use it unless i am performing for someone who is clearly a magician which i sometimes do

Well, if it's a "pick a card" trick and got the wrong card...

"What was the card you picked?"
    "XXX"
    "That's exactly right!"

Be ready to duck...

Jonathan Bagwell's Avatar Moderator
    When all else fails, the truth is the best. Don't try to fix something that can't be fixed. If it can, go for it, but just don't be afraid of the truth.
    Jonathan Bagwell
    Lead Guitarist

You shouldnt have to make anything up. Any trick that you feel there is a possibility of mess up, y ou need to have an out for. The invisible deck is a good out for basically any pick a card trick. "what i didnt tell you, is that secretly before I even began showing you this trick, I turned over one card in this deck, that I knew you would choose."

Bicycle theif can also be used as a good out for card tricks.

if you are doing a telepathy trick, where the person has to think of the card, and you get the wrong card, you can just say something like, "You weren't thinking about your card hard enough!"

What you would do varies depending on how you mess up the trick.
    "One never says so much as when one doesn't know what to say" Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by jonpaul
    if you are doing a telepathy trick, where the person has to think of the card, and you get the wrong card, you can just say something like, "You weren't thinking about your card hard enough!"
    Yes and make the spectator feel bad for ruining your trick.